Common myths & facts about HPV infection
- Not a common problem. Approximately 80% of sexually active adults will have the HPV virus at some point during their life.
- Only women get HPV. This infection is common in both sexes.
- Condoms prevent HPV infection. If there is a skin-to-skin contact, you can get the infection.
- Every type of HPV cause cancer. High-risk viruses (16, 18) can cause cervical, anal, oral and penile cancer.
- Only vaginal sex can spread the infection. HPV can be spread through oral, vaginal or anal sex.
- Garlic concentrate can cure the HPV. There is no cure for human papillomavirus infection.
Be sure to look for a medical opinion if you think you may have an HPV infection.